Saturday 7 February 2015

Ascent up to Picacho Hill

Okay..I confess! As I'm new to this blogging malarkey, somehow I managed to over-write the entry about our hike up the aforementioned hill! Don't for the life of me understand how it happened, so I'm going to attempt to re-write it for the 2nd time!....

So....at approx 4pm the 'other half' pipes up that he fancies being "Up High"! Those wre his exact words, and knowing what I know now I should have just gone out and strapped him to the highest lamp-post I could find!

Yes it is getting dark, and yes that is dark clouds forming, and yes we will be walking up the the TV masts you can see in the distance..

We parked in the public car park adjacent to the Sports Centre and started walking up Calle Fuensanta that borders the school playground...this marks the beginning of the walk.

The earthy road originally made for the installation of the antennas, allows a gentle ascent. Today we were joined by runners and cyclists who use this as training for Triathlons..

As we reached the peak and the antennas wre in sight the ground levels and flattens out and the wind starts to pick up, as it did today. We were both quite pleased that we had wrapped up well and that we had our walking boots on.

As you approach the TV masts and go around them you are treated to the spectacular hill top views and vistas of Mojacar Pueblo and the surrounding areas. At this point I was sorry that I hadn't brought my binoculars with me...truly stunning!

After a while and all photos and videos gathered we decided to make our way back down. We didn't fancy being up here as dusk descended. To return there are two choices, one is to retrace your path or just go over the top and snake your way down via the small, narrow paths. We have done the latter before so we opted for the easier first option!

Along the way down the sides of the pathway is dotted with bushes of Rosemary, thyme, and beautiful smelling lavender.

The pathway can get a little steep in places plus the rubble/stone covering can make you lose your footing sometimes, so I was pleased I had my stout, walking shoes on.

As we weave our way back down the hill the scenery is just as special as at the top, your treated to mini glimpses of Mojacar Pueblo with sea as its back drop.

Just before the end of the walk we noticed this burnt out remains of a tree which reminded us of the terrible wild fires that engulfed this area way back in July 2009.

So...the re-entry has been written...sorry for the hiccup!

Until next time...adios x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment