Thursday 29 January 2015

On & off the Hook...

A few posts ago I promised I would share some current crochet projects that I have on the hook at the moment plus a few things I have already completed.. So here goes...

The first is a blanket that I am making from 4-round granny squares. I'm unsure how large I will make it, I guess I will just keep going until I'm happy with the size. I adore granny squares as I think I've mention in the past. I find it the most pleasurable way to use up all my scrap yarn...and I have PLENTY of that around here! I'm just using DK yarns and a 4mm Clover soft touch hook ( my hook of choice, I never use anything else and have one in each hook size...small & large!). I tend to make the squares in batches..make say 10 just in the 1st round and then complete the 2nd round on these 10 and at the end sew in the ends.

I always 'join as I go' after reading Attic24's tutorial on this. I can honestly say I was overjoyed when I grasped this method and it has proved a godsend! The pretty little bag in the picture was a great purchase I made in Home Bargains before I left the UK. It was a knitting kit...but I just loved the bag. It so reminds me of Cath Kidston..a bargain at £4.99..I keep all my supplies in it so I can crochet on the go whilst I travel...

The 2nd project is this extra large 16 round squares Granny Blanket. Again this is all made in DK scraps yarn with a 4.5mm hook. The individual squares are turning out at approx 13 inches each, so it doesn't take long for the blanket to grow. I have plans to make this one large enough for a sofa cuddle blanket so it needs to be approx 6ft x 4ft. I've calculated that it will probably need 24 squares in total (6x4) plus a simple border. I tend to use a lot of Stylecraft Special DK as I find the quality is excellent, plus it washes like a dream and the colour range is fantastic.

Up next is the Pastel range!! This is/was a special order from a best friend whose daughter is getting married THIS year..( sounds funny saying 'this' year as it's been organised for sooooo long!). Anyway the request was for some pastel shade floral and heart garlands to decorate her home for the wedding day.....so floral and heart garlands it was! I gathered all the supplies I had with me in Mojacar ( the vast majority were back in the UK) and was surprised at the varied colour range. The yarn is a 100% Egyptian cotton thread No:5 and I used a 3.75mm hook.

Once I was happy I then trawled Pinterest, Ravelry and Google for varying sized flower motifs. I came up with loads and got quite carried away! The order was for 5 garlands however as I had gone quite mad with the motifs I had enough to make an extra one.. They have since been dispatched via the Spanish postal service back to the UK....I'm waiting to hear from her that she has received them safely?!

I'm sure she won't mind me showing you this sneak preview of them!

Now the penultimate project is one that has been swirling about in my 'crochet to do' memory for ages... My take on a Hudsons Bay blanket!!!

Google it and you will see its a classic design from North America and I love it's simplicity. I'm unsure if I will knit it in garter stitch or crochet it yet, but whilst we were at the market in Huercal Overa on Monday, we were wandering through the pretty back street and voila...there was a yarn shop! Well it's rude not to go in isn't it, and the lady owner and I came up with this combo...pretty close don't you think?

The yarn looks between a DK and Aran weight so I'll have to make the dreaded tension square before I embark on this one! It's also 100% acrylic so will wash and wear well. Also unsure of size yet...

Lastly this is a project that is a wedding gift for the aforementioned daughter of my friend. I completed the majority of the project last year (2014) whilst here in Mojacar. All that needs to be done now is to join the items together and complete it. I carried the whole project with me all the way down from the UK, so it does have a huge carbon footprint..sorry!!!

Well that's it for now...phew that seemed a long one! At least I've stuck to my side of the agreement and posted some yummy, yarny, crochet goodies on the blog! ( see that's why I called the blog Maid (made)in Mojacar.... Get it?????

Until next time....adios.x


 

3 comments:

  1. Hi I have just come across you blog site and read that you have found a wool shop in Huercal Overa, was wondering if you could possibly tell me whereabouts it is. I notice you live in Las Cumbres depending on which way you face I think you will probably be able to see my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world isn't it! The mercerie shop in huercal overa is just off the main square where the church is. I am sorry but I don't know the actual street name. When I next visit though I will note down the details and then I can let you know.

      Delete
  2. Hola,
    Just stumbled across your blog whilst searching for wool and crochet in Mojácar. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete